Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Mooring rules

In response to this email:
I'm trying to figure the rules regarding mooring balls on Lake
Washington. I've asked the towns, the police, the government, the
marinas without much luck (or, at best, contradictory information).
One marina said someone in the sherrifs department commented on taking
action in this regard in Yarrow Bay a few years ago. I know there
were some live-aboards there - so, I still didn't know what this
meant.

I have a small 17' sailboat that I'd like to put on a mooring ball.
If it matters I'd use the boat at a minimum once a week.

Is this allowed? If not then what about all of the existing mooring
balls in Lake Washington?

Is this illegal but seldom/never enforced? What are the consequences
for "getting caught" doing this?


I got this response:

Mr. Wiseley, Please call our office or e-mail me your phone number so we can discuss your question about mooring buoys. There is no one answer so it would be pointless to try and e-mail a response. If I am not in, any of our marine deputies should be able to assist you. Our office hours are 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM but we are in and out all day long. Thank You. Deputy Heath. (206) 296-7558.


Been trying to call all day without much luck. But I'll post their response when I get one.

In the mean time - I found some "rules". I'm not sure the order of importance but marine stuff seems to be regulated on a town, county and state level. Kirklands rules seem to not allow moorings but there are tons in the lake. The counties rules seem to allow them but there appears to be some permitting procedure (that's why I need to call).

Some links to the rules are on the King County Sheriff's Office Marine/Dive Unit page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home