Sunday, March 06, 2005

Solo Rigging/Reefing/Raising

The Windrider 17 is kind of a bitch to raise the main sail solo. Aparently trimarans don't stay into the wind like most monohulls. From a post on Kim's Windrider Yacht Club page I gather this is the solution. Haven't set this up yet though.

First, you install a tiller tamer: $30.99. Good instructions on how to do this here.



Then you install a Boomkicker K0400. Which is pricey but can be had at PYacth for $111.



To use the boomkicker you also need to have a boom vang. Which can be had at WestMarine for around $82.



Then, for procedure:

I've had luck with a boomkicker and vang. You can learn more about this product at the site below. It makes reefing and hoisting easier, but there's still the whole issue of heading up. For that I use a Davis tiller tamer (see other site below) mounted just behind the aft cockpit and just in front of the tiller shaft. This device allows me to hold a course without attending to the boat. Then I engage my 2hp Honda and head up without any crew to assist me.


So - total cost is about $223. What was that about a hole in which you throw money into? :)

2 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Michael J Pagel said...

Hi Ben
I also have Windrider 17 & really like the boat but raising mail sail by yourself is a large problem, especially if it is very windy. I found simple solution to this problem. While in sallow water, I use an anchor with two lines. The shorter one is tied to the front of the boat & the longer line is tied to around the mast casting. This keeps the boat into the wind. After the main sail is up, I pull up the anchor. The main sail is very difficult to put up even with no wind even through I use the sail silicone spray. I am also going build a boom furler system, which I think would be best final solution.

Mike
Neenah, WI

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Donald said...

Hi Michael.
I’m interested in your boom roller. Did you build it? If so how did it go and do you have a sketch?
Regards
Donald Paterson (Scotland).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home